Velvet Top September 03 2014, 0 Comments
Hello West Coast Wild Foods fans,
The Velvet Top or Admirable boletus is one of the rarest, most flavorful and colorful wild mushrooms found in British Columbia. It is so rare that it is not often that you will see it sold in its dried form. Normally the Velvet Top Boletus grows in the fall season in the same regions and general areas as the Chanterelle, Cauliflower, and Pine. This wonderful mushroom has become one of our favorites as well as a favorite of our customers across the country because of its blend of incredible taste and beauty. The flavor profile can be described as earthy, strong, porcini mushroom-like with a citrus or lemon edge. Its taste is complex, thorough and layered. This special mushroom can be paired with many dishes from meats and sauces to soups and salads. Enjoy!
Warm Velvet Top and Pancetta Salad (Serves 4)
diced 2 shallots peeled and minced
40g WCWF Dried Velvet Top (Rehydration required)
¼ cup pine nuts
7tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2tbsp. red wine vinegar
4 large handfuls of mixed greens (argula, or bibb lettuce)
Fresh ground black pepper
- Cook pancetta in a frying pan over low heat until crisp, for about 20minutes. Drain on paper towels and transfer to a large bowl. Pour off fat from pan (a thin film will remain). Increase heat to medium, add shallots to pan and cook until tender for about 15 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add rehydrated WCWF Velvet Tops as well as pine nuts, and sauté until lightly browned for about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl with pancetta.
- In the same pan, warm olive oil over medium heat, then pour vinaigrette and heat through.
- Add mixed greens to bowl with pancetta, WCWF Velvet Tops and shallots. Add the warm vinaigrette and toss well. Season with pepper and enjoy!
Velvet Top and Chanterelle Pizzas with Goat Cheese (Two 10 inch pizzas)
2 10inch pizza crust
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil plus additional for brushing
20g – 40g WCWF Dried Chanterelles (Rehydration required)
20g – 40g WCWF Dried Velvet Top (Rehydration required)
1 cup (packed) coarsely grated whole-milk mozzarella cheese
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
170g chilled soft fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled
2 tbsp sliced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 450°F for at least 30 minutes
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add WCWF mushrooms; sprinkle with salt. Sauté until tender.
- Brush pizza dough with oil; sprinkle each with ½ cup mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan.
- Top with WCWF mushrooms, then dot with goat cheese.
- Place pizza on parchment sheet, bake pizza until crusts are brown at edge and on bottom, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives